In the Winter of 2009-2010 I made a certain esoteric programming language more difficult to use. bodyfuck is an implementation of brainfuck that uses a camera as input. Moving to the left or right shifts the pointer forward or back, moving up or down increases or decreases the current register, and outstretching arms outputs the value of the current register. bodyfuck accepts no input upon execution nor is there currently a way to delete a mistake. Programming with bodyfuck can be very punishing.
I performed several simple programs with bodyfuck. Most of them simply loop through values in order to output ascii values of some kind (copy, heart, 2000, failed crawl, save, smiley, undo, help, path, hello world), but a few (undefined walk, walk to 68, endless, 2+2, going nowhere) demonstrate more interesting computation of some kind.
- written thesis that accompanied bodyfuck
- Wired: With an NSFW Name, This Tech Makes Coding Pure Torture
- Switch: Body and Imagination: The Work of Nik Hanselmann
- esolangs: Bodyfuck: gestural code
- The Outline: Brainfuck: code that was designed to hurt
- Speaking Code
- Fun and Software
- ICLC: Live Coding and Machine Listening